Sunday, January 9, 2011

CHERUB: Shadow Wave


Title: Shadow Wave
Series: CHERUB
Author: Robert Muchamore
Published: 2010
Genre: Action, Adventure, Spy, Travel
Rating: 4 out of 5
After a tsunami causes massive devastation to a tropical island, its governor sends in the bulldozers to knock down villages, replacing them with luxury hotels.

Guarding the corrupt governor’s family isn’t James Adams’ idea of the perfect mission, especially as it’s going to be his last as a CHERUB agent. And then retired colleague Kyle Blueman comes up with an unofficial and highly dangerous plan of his own.

James must choose between loyalty to CHERUB, and loyalty to his oldest friend.
From CHERUB.com


As always, CHERUB is high on the action and spy-stuff.  But for me, as the last book of CHERUB, it kinda fell short. Shadow Wave was more about tying things up for the older characters rather than being action packed. What I did like was the character development. Throughout the series, James has evolved from a very immature and typical boy into a young adult who is building his future and knowing how to behave in a much respectable way with girls. Which is great for the boys who do read the series! Also, the villain of this book was a bit more sophisticated and political (he's a Malaysian MP) than the others in the series (which are normally terrorists, cults, motorcycle gangs, corrupt Russians and drug syndicates), which gave me a feel as if the series has matured, instead of only just the characters. 

There are many themes (family, loyalty, loss of innocence, etc...) present within the whole series too, which is great when especially the younger readers reread the series and notice these things due to EngLit. I won't lie and will say I was expecting way more from Shadow Wave, but, the good news is there's a new CHERUB series (basically everything's the same except the new main character is someone else). It's called Aramov.

A must read for anyone who's read most of the series! And if you haven't but are interested in the series, here's a list of the books in order.

___________________________
BTW, don't forget to enter my international giveaway here!

4 comments:

  1. Finally, a book blogger who reviews something by Muchamore!!! You're the first I find who has read something by him, you know? I'm still on The Fall but I can't wait for the rest, and his new series, Henderson Boys too ^^


    Anyway, if you'd like some recommendations on sad/serius books, here are some:
    By the time you read this I'll be dead
    Love you hate you miss you
    Twenty Boy Summer
    Speak
    Wintergirls
    Before i fall
    If I stay
    thirteen reasons why

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this series before, but it sounds like it's right up my alley--thanks for the review! I think I'll go check out that list of all the books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first time I see this book. I am going to check the previous book first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aleetha: that would be great! I'm sure you'll love the series is you like to read books with adventures and spies :)

    ReplyDelete

The Chicken can see you >_>